Roasted mixed pumpkins, soured cream and toasted almonds recipe
- 40g flaked almonds
- 200ml extra virgin olive oil
- 55ml fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- a pinch of finely ground black pepper
- a teaspoon of whole coriander seeds
- a teaspoon of caraway seeds, finely chopped
- a teaspoon of whole fennel seeds
- a teaspoon of whole cumin seeds
- a stick of cinnamon
- 750g chopped weight of mixed pumpkins
- 2 or 3 finely chopped shallots
- 100 ml crème fraîche
- Cut the mixed pumpkins in half and deseed them.
- Slice into 2cm thick slices and place onto a baking tray.
- Sprinkle with 65ml olive oil and a teaspoon of salt.
- Add the cinnamon stick, cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes at 180*C
- Remove the foil and bake for a further 20 minutes.
- Mix a teaspoonful of the finely chopped shallots with the crème fraîche and just over half a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice. Set aside.
- Blend 120ml olive oil, 50ml of fresh lemon juice, a scant teaspoon of salt & a pinch of black pepper. Set aside.
- In a hot saucepan fry the flaked almonds in a teaspoon of olive oil, turning continuously until golden. About two minutes. Set aside.
- Dry roast the coriander, fennel and cumin seeds for 2 minutes, then add the chopped caraway seeds and roast for a further 3 minutes.
- Coarse grind the roasted mixed seeds in a mortar and pestle. Set aside.
- Divide the roasted mixed pumpkins between four plates while still warm.
- Spoon over the lemon dressing, then drizzle with the soured cream.
- Finally, sprinkle with the toasted almonds and spices to serve.